Skype have free calls to the USA and Canada for citizens of those countries. But how does it find out who is a citizen of these countries? Your IP address. Can this be changed? Yes. Easily? Yes
What you need:
Tor and Privoxy
DOWNLOAD THIS ONE (this automatically installs the Windows packages)
|Windows: Tor & Privoxy & Vidalia bundle||0.1.1.23 CLICK HERE to Download||Windows instructions; local mirror (sig). You can get the old TorCP bundle (sig) if you prefer.|
- Download program! (1.57 MB)
What they do:
Tor & Privoxy - These send you through an onion router, encrypted at each stage so when you leave and enter the web you are completely anonymous.
Freecap - This allows you to send other programs through the Tor network.
Skype - VOIP - Use your computer as a phone and access any phone in the USA or Canada for free (Landlines and Mobiles) with this guide.
How to do it:
- Install all 3 packages
- (You may want to create a batch file to run all three with 1 click - see section at end)
- Go to Privoxy/Edit Config/Main Configuration through the start menu.
- Edit the file by adding the following line "forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 ." and then saving.
- Goto Freecap and File/New Application
- In the program path put the location of skype
- Now in Freecap change you setting so it will direct through TOR:
- GOTO File/Settings
- Set Default Proxy/Server as 127.0.0.1
- Set Port as 9050
- Set Protocol as Socks Version 4
- Click Apply then OK
- Now run Tor and Prixoxy and FreeCap (NOT SKYPE yet)
- Set up Firefox (or another browser so you check Tor is working)
- Checkout proxy server guide on http://support.shaw.ca/browsers/firefoxproxy.htm
- Download proxy button ddon to easily turn tor on and off (only for firefox) http://proxybutton.mozdev.org/installation.html#0_2_5
- Change proxy server settings to SERVER: localhost PORT:8118
- Put proxy button in toolbar and turn on
- Goto http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm
- Check your new IP - it should be different to your original one
- If your new IP says it is somewhere in America you are ready to go - JUMP to step 15
- If your new IP is elsewhere then stop TOR and restart it - you will now be given a new IP - check if this says america - if not repeat - usually it only takes 1-2 attempts to get the USA
- Now you are ready to go -
- Open FreeCap
- Open the Skype Program from within FreeCap
- Sign in and call the number you want
- As long as you did step 13 correct then your calls will be free
- Before each new call go back to step 10 to 13 to check that your IP is still the USA (this is because tor regularly reroutes you to keep you anonymous so your IP will change - what matters is the IP when you first make the call)
- If your IP is USA calls will be free to landlines and mobiles
Starting Tor, Privoxy and FreeCap together with a batch file
- Open Notepad
- Input the following:
- cd "C:\windows\system32"
start /b "tor" "C:\Program Files\torcp\torcp.exe"
cd "C:\Program Files\Privoxy"
start /b "privoxy" "C:\Program Files\Privoxy\Privoxy.exe"
start /b "freecap" "C:\Program Files\FreeCap\freecap.exe"
- Change the directories addresses in 3 if the files are in other places
- Save the file as "TorStartup.bat" on your desktop
- This will create a batch file - you may get a warning say ok
- Run this file and it will open all three programs via a DOS command then close the DOS command
You are the visitor.